Imprinting Your Message

Enlivening Presentations While Maximizing Attention and Retention

How will your customer remember your presentation's main messages long after you're gone?  Studies show that 93% of how we learn is through visual or audio stimulation.  We must therefore reinforce the remaining 7% of "what we say" with visual and audio ammunition.

Ideally, we want to back up our verbal messages with complimentary visual images and audio clips.  For example, a short customer reference video is a powerful tool that tells an objective success story and backs up your claims.  Paper handouts of success stories are a permanent visual that remain in front of your customer for the duration of your presentation and long thereafter.  Replace boring bullets with diagrams, graphs, tables, and flow charts -- anything that's visually oriented.  Reinforce major selling points with concrete visual examples that quantify your economic benefit.  The visual impact should be loud and clear.

Try interjecting your pitch with occasional flow-breakers such as videos, hand-outs, audio clips, cartoons, and demos.  They peak the listener's interest and cause them to pay attention.  When regularly paced, the audience actually begins to look forward to the next break from the usual boring dog-and-pony show.

Remember, as Willy Loman says in Death of a Salesman, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it!"

This has been Phil Janus of salesengineering.com "Going For The Close".

Good Selling everyone.